When we refer to wellness, we often think only of food. Of course, food is a key element to our overall wellness. But what I learned in studying integrative nutrition is that primary foods are what sustain us beyond our plates. Primary foods are things such as your career, relationships, exercise, and spirituality.
Spirituality is a huge topic and is very bio-individual – meaning that it is different for everybody. But if you haven’t thought much about this topic or don’t really have a spiritual practice that serves you, I would like to offer you five ways to help tap into your spiritual self.
Let’s lay some groundwork first. Understand that you don’t have to be religious to be spiritual. And in fact, there may be many religious people who are not spiritual. Or you may be both. Regardless, it is important to get in touch with what spirituality means to you individually. It may mean different things to different people. And there are a myriad of ways to think of it, practice it, and express it.
In our modern day world of family and employment chaos, materialism, deception, violence, loss, disease, excessive technology and social isolation, it may be very difficult to turn off or calm your mind. Your mind is likely running a mile a minute to keep up with all the plans of your day. But it is important to practice tuning into your spiritual side in order to feel connected, calm, and confident.
Cultivating a strong spiritual life doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Here are a few ideas for you to experiment with tapping into a spiritual life that works for you:
- Try meditating. There are many great books and courses to learn about meditation. But simply sitting quietly with eyes closed and breathing deeply is a great place to start. Don’t worry if this sounds difficult because the more and more you practice this, the more likely it will get easier. It does NOT have to be perfect, it just has to be a PRACTICE. There are many easy guides for meditation online you can search for. Here’s a simple, guided meditation for beginners that helps you relax. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inpok4MKVLM&list=PLQiGxGHwiuD1kdxsWKFuhE0rITIXe-7yC&index=2
- Take a Kundalini yoga class. All yoga has good benefits and any yoga would be beneficial. But Kundalini yoga is called the yoga of awareness. There are particular benefits to breathwork and body movements that will aid in your spiritual awakening. I found this beginner video that I really like. If you reserve judgement and remain open to it, you will gain benefits of peace that will grow stronger each time you practice it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DO_GgchYPA
- Read a spiritual self-help book. Some of my early favorites include Michael A. Singer’s The Untethered Soul, Gary Zukav’s The Seat of the Soul, or Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth. Plus, anything by Louise Hay, Dr. or Wayne Dyer would be fantastic books, tapes or videos to begin your spiritual journey. Good luck!
- Spend time in nature. I can’t emphasize this enough. As someone who grew up in a bustling, polluted, noisy city, it wasn’t until I got out into nature that I realized how much I needed it and my body, mind and spirit craved it. Now, I spend as much time as possible walking or sitting in a forest preserve or hiking along sunny desert trails. When I am in these surroundings, I find that I sleep better, feel happier, and gain greater peace in all aspects of my life. You don’t have to go far. Even sitting in a nearby park or your back yard can do wonders for your spirit!
- Unplug from technology AND the social media that often comes along with it. Technology and social media can become addictive, as I’m sure you have experienced. But unplugging for a few days will help you cultivate a stronger ability to hear your own inner voice. That is what will allow the spiritual side of you to grow.
You can locate a few other blogs about related concepts, such as Practicing Mindfulness, Living in the Moment, and Doing a Digital Detox on my blog page, by scrolling for them here: https://bewellwithjanel.com/blog/
The benefits of spirituality are countless. When you are in tune with yourself and are able to quiet your mind, you can transform your life, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. By integrating spirituality into your life you will reduce your stress level, enable weight loss, lower anxiety and depression, improve happiness and even enjoy more free time in your day.
I wish you all these things, and more! Good luck!